Kmy Money vs. GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 10 12:31:59 EST 2009

"Colin Scott" <gnucash at double-bars.net> writes:

>> Are these "small matters" reported already ? I'm interested in user
>> interface improvements myself, so if the problems are known and
>> relatively small I may be able to fix them.
>
> I don't know if they're already reported, and frankly it'd take me a
> while to work up a list.  I don't think I'd call any of them bugs, just
> inconveniences, and none of them are, in themselves, a big deal (whether
> or not they're a big deal to fix, of course, is another matter!) but
> they're the sort of things that make the difference between a really
> slick, intuitive and easy-to-use interface, and one that tends to get in
> the way.  They're the sort of things Microsoft spend lots of time on in
> their usability labs (and then often get wrong anyway!  :-)

They have the luxury of time, resources, and money to spend on working
on it.  We're a volunteer effort who barely has enough development
resources to fix crashing bugs, let alone do HCI experiments to act on
them.

Patches are always welcome, and definitely encouraged.  We have a wealth
of ideas.  The issue is execution.

Also note that you do not need to be a developer to help (although being
a developer is better).  If you're NOT a developer you could...  work on
the documentation.  Work on the translations.  Work on the website or
wiki.  Work on bug triage (trying to verify or reproduce bugs).  Or for
features, trying to come up with a complete set of requirements, or even
a GUI mockup (preferably done in glade-2 so we can just use the
results).  Or you can just answer user questions when they come in!

Again, I encourage everyone here to help out in some way.  We're a
community (even if I don't always act as the most friendly of neighbors).