Custom Transaction Report with Balance

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Dec 11 14:02:56 EST 2009

Hi,

Jason Dunham <jwdunham at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> I believe I am using the customer payment and invoice features correctly, but
> on the customer report, I just get one line for the invoice total, so I also
> have to print out the invoice. That's not a killer, but the invoice doesn't
> add much value in my situation.  I'd rather just have all the invoice items
> entered as regular transactions and generate a transaction report (just like a
> bank statement does).  I suppose I could make separate invoices for each line
> item, but that's a pain too.  It's also difficult to include credits and
> refunds in the invoice, which is its own problem.

The Customer report was designed to be a list of invoices and payments.
I.e., it's a Statement of the Customer's Account (showing each
"Transaction").  So you would, e.g., send out Invoices when they come
up, and then you can send out the Customer Report monthly to show which
invoices have been posted and which have been paid.

So yes, it was specifically designed to "make you" send both Invoices
AND Customer Report if you want both sets of information.

In the original implementation there was ONLY the "accumulate splits"
option.  The reports were written then.  Only later did the code get
added to make the invoice posted transaction have 1 split per line-item,
so you could then use a "transaction register report" to print the
expanded transaction/invoice.

I'm not sure what you mean by "separate invoices for each line item."
Why would you want to do that?  That's exactly what an Invoice is for.
But and invoice is NOT a Customer report.  There is no "balance" in an
invoice; the invoice affects the balance of the customer/account.

> The more serious need is the beginning and ending balances. I presume I'll
> have to figure this out in scheme.

gnc:get-account-balance-as-of-date (or something like that).