Account reports on account groups

Anthony W. Youngman wol at thewolery.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 20:02:09 EST 2009

I don't seem to be able to find out how to export *data* in a sensible
form from gnucash. Okay, I've only skimmed the two manuals, but they
don't seem to cover it, and I've searched the archive and it didn't find
it according to my search criteria.

Basically, the format I want is what I get doing an "account report" on
an account. But I want to get an account report on an account group! And
the only thing I seem able to get is a double-entry ledger which has the
information I want (in ONE line) spread across multiple lines, and mixed
up with a load of information I don't want.

To give an example, under "Income", I've got "Subscriptions", and under
that I've got "Spring Term", "Summer Term" and "Autumn Term". Makes my
life a lot easier when I'm tracking money coming in. But when I want to
audit it, I don't care about which term, I just want a report at the
"Subscriptions" level.

As I see it, I've currently got two options:
1) go into each term in turn, run the report and export it, then combine
the exports in Excel or Calc. This isn't too bad with three subgroups,
but it could get very messy as in some cases I have a lot more ...
or 2) in this case, the double entry always goes to petty cash or cheque
book, so I can run the report on those, export and combine them, and
then filter on "Income:Subscriptions:*"

It's not too difficult to get round it ... but I'd like to be able to do
what I want (get a single-entry ledger) without too much hassle. Pretty
much all of the gnucash reports are double-entry and would be a pain in
the neck for me to massage into the format I need.

Cheers,
Wol
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony at thewolery.demon.co.uk