SQL database back-end support

Peter vmail at mycircuit.org
Mon Dec 14 04:05:21 EST 2009

On 12/14/2009 03:25 AM, Joshua Kephart wrote:
> Just a quick question about the new database backend stuff.  I'm still
> on the stable 2.2.9 version, as I don't have a lot of experience
> compiling from binary or anything, so I haven't seen the new database
> functionality at all.  But I'm wondering, once this goes to stable
> 2.4, is there going to be a database connection GUI so that for each
> GnuCash file we could potentially tell it to connect to different
> databases?
Yes thats possible.
> Or will the database back-end have to be specifically set up during
> compilation?
>
> The reason I ask is that I think it would be great if I could have
> easy access to all my GnuCash data from say a PHP web application I
> could write, and eventually maybe some smartphone apps.  The
> possibilities are pretty endless once the data is there in an easily
> accessible database. :)
> GnuCash is awesome, keep up the great work.
> ~ keppy
Hi
I am not a gnucash expert, but I am working with 2.3.7 and I can connect
to either sqlite or mysql. You don't have to decide that when you
compile, you can later just say "Save as" and enter a database
connection string instead of  a filename. If you compile from source,
you need lots of dependencies. If you don't compile yourself, you have
to make sure that the --enable-dbi switch has been set during configure.
And you have to have appropriate drivers installed ( libdb-mysql
libdb-sqlite3  on my debian box)

Peter