Reconcile Freezes GnuCash in Vista

Robert Stocks robert.stocks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 17:21:53 EST 2009

2009/12/21 khslocum <catcher at khslocum.com>:

> Solution found.
>
> I just got my 30" Samsung monitor back today and hooked it back up.  I can
> now run reconcile.  What appears to have happened is that one of the windows
> for the reconcile application couldn't place itself on the missing monitor
> and that is what froze up Gnucash.  Now that I have all my real estate back,
> it is working fine.
>
> This problem has got to be rare, how many people go from two monitors to
> one?  But I would think the software solution should be straight forward,
> not to say easy, to address.

Not rare at all!  I have a laptop - with a docking station and second
monitor on my desk, yet only the built in screen when at home. So I
switch between 2 and 1 monitors several times a week.

but then I have never seen your described problem on my 64 bit Vista install.

however I would really like the Saved windows logic to maintain one
set of positions for each display configuration, or at very least
ensure that all windows are visible when opened.

> Thanks to everyone that assisted on this.
>
> Merry Christmas,
>
> Kyle
>

> khslocum wrote:
>>

>> Stuart Mitchell wrote:
>>>
>>> In the meantime you might want to try something like
>>> http://www.compendiumdev.co.uk/forcedisplay/ to force the window to be
>>> visible.
>>>
>>> Stuart
>>>

>> Thanks Stuart.  I tried it but wasn't successful in getting GnuCash to not
>> lock up when calling for reconcile.  I did, however, solve an issue I was
>> having with Stickies which is a definite win.
>>
>> There were three windows for GnuCash, but the only one which populated
>> when selected in forcedisplay was the starting/ending balance window which
>> is the point at which the freeze happens...
>>
>> Thanks for the great tip.
>>
>> Kyle
>>

> --

Robert