cash: avoid "double count"

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Tue Feb 10 11:04:29 EST 2009

   >> > Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> >>

   >> > Yes everybody (including businesses) has come up against this
   >> > "problem" and the usual solution is called "petty cash". I haven't
   >> > ever used the built in "cash in wallet" feature so don't know if it
   >> > functions as a proper "petty cash" account. The point is that when
   >> > done properly, both a "current account" (bank) and "petty cash" are
   >> > both cash accounts and a transfer between them is NOT a "cash flow"
   >> > item. Just like if you have two checking accounts transferring
   >> > money from one to the other would not be a cash flow item.
   >>
   >> Hm, I think I have seen the petty cash account in a version of gnucash
   >> prior to 2.0 (but then I did not use gnucash really). In the 2.2.4
   >> version, I am using now, I can't find this account so I am not sure how
   >> to proceed.

   > Just include the Cash account in your Cash Flow set of accounts
   > along with the Bank account and then it wont show transfers between
   > those accounts.

Hm no. I want them to be included but in a special way

Of course I don't want
5 of january 50 dollars withdrawn
  expenses (book): 6 january 45 book amazon
  expenses (restaurant): 6 january 5 (starbucks)
sums up to 100 dollars, this is wrong

I want for example

5 of january 50 dollars withdrawn (and spent in the following way)
  expenses (book): 6 january 45 book amazon
  expenses (restaurant): 6 january 5 (starbucks)

Spent 50 dollars

This way I want to control how I spent my 50 dollars,

So I presume the answer of this a sub accounts

   >> Uwe

sorry