cash: avoid "double count"

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Feb 12 12:09:38 EST 2009

Uwe

>I want for example
>
>5 of january 50 dollars withdrawn (and spent in the following way)
>  expenses (book): 6 january 45 book amazon
>  expenses (restaurant): 6 january 5 (starbucks)
>
>Spent 50 dollars
>
>This way I want to control how I spent my 50 dollars,
>
>So I presume the answer of this a sub accounts
>
>   >> Uwe

I will try again?

Checking
Jan 5                   50 credit

Petty Cash            (wallet)
Jan 5                  50 debit
Jan 6                    50 credit (split)

Expenses - Books
Jan 6                   45 debit

Expenses - Food at restaurants
Jan 6                5 debit

The  January 5 transaction should not show up as a cash flow (it's just
a transfer between two cash accounts). If you have your cash flow
specifications correctly, it won't. The question of "sub accounts" not
really part of this except yes, I'd have both the checking account and
the petty cash account (wallet/drawer) as accounts under a "current
assets" parent. But that's because I would be likely to have "fixed
assets" also.

Michael

NOTE: I've left out of this how you will be handling the "description"
field to store more information about the transactions. For example, you
will probably wan to note that the books were bought via Amazon and the
coffee at Starbucks and that the check you cashed was a "transfer"