budgeting help / feature request

spleen spleen42 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:25:48 EST 2009

I just started using GnuCash recently and I would like to keep track of my
budget like this:

A salary - B deductions = C biweekly income
D living expenses + E savings = F biweekly expenses
G rent + H bills + I student loans = J monthly expenses
function(C, F, J) = K monthly debt reduction payments

Please note that attempting to maintain a budget is the reason I started
using GnuCash. Also note that these are meta categories and do not directly
correspond to my account hierarchy.

The primary purpose of my budget is to ensure that my chequing account never
has an overdraft, so my balance must be calculated at all times. The
secondary purpose is to be able to experiment with the values of the
variables and have all the other values recalculated as I play with them in
an attempt to balance the values of D and K to my liking.

If it's possible to do this with GnuCash version 2.2.8, please direct me to
the appropriate section of the documentation. I can try to remember how to
write scheme code if necessary. Otherwise, I would like to submit a feature
request. I do not find the current implementation of the budgeting feature
very useful.

Thanks,
spleen