budgeting help / feature request

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 22:38:23 EST 2009

Hi,

To experiment with different scenarios, I would still go for Excel (or any
spreadsheet). But to build up a history of your daily expenses, bills and
savings, so that you get a good picture of where your money is going,
Gnucash is really worth the couple of hours it takes to set up properly.

One thing that Gnucash can do very well for you is give you the future
balance of your chequing account, minus all your expenses, so that you don't
overspend and go into overdraft by mistake. Simply enter transactions with
dates in the future, and Gnucash sets them apart with a blue line from
current and past transactions, and tells you your calculated future balance.
I do this quite a bit to see how much wiggle room I have after paying all my
bills and socking away money into my savings accounts.

By the way, it seems that K = 2C + 2F - J. Unless I'm missing something?

Hope this helps

Yawar