budgeting help / feature request

Mark S colt22target at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 10:33:21 EST 2009

Here is an article on how someone budgets with GC, I know it isn't quite what you are looking for, but one thing it could help with is grouping your budget items into higher level categories.http://allmybrain.com/2008/12/15/better-budgeting-with-gnucash/I agree that the budget tool could use some improvements and expanded functionality.Perhaps to take the previous reply and make it more functional for you - if you enter scheduled transactions and future transactions, it would be nice if GC could let you look at your balances as of a specific date (one thing I don't like about entering future transactions is that I can never cross-validate my current account balance without reconciling). EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:06:19 -0500> Subject: Re: budgeting help / feature request> From: spleen42 at gmail.com> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org> > On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> wrote:> > > > To experiment with different scenarios, I would still go for Excel (or any> > spreadsheet).> > > I guess what I was hoping for is some way to display income - expenses for> each budget period as I am entering my budget values. Also, I was hoping for> my budget to be simpler than my actual account hierarchy. For example, I pay> principal + interest on my loans, but I don't need to track both accounts in> my budget, just the amount of the payment.> > By the way, it seems that K = 2C + 2F - J. Unless I'm missing something?> >> > That is true 10 months of the year. The other two months I have three> paydays.> > Thanks,> spleen> _______________________________________________> gnucash-user mailing list> gnucash-user at gnucash.org> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user> -----> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.