Hello - new to list with a question about reconciliation

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Wed Feb 18 17:08:36 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 21:55 +0000, Maf. King wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 21:47:16 David Ryder wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've just joined the list and am new to gnu-cash - I never could
> > understand the myob etc but this I do!
> >
> > I have a problem - I reconciled a Liabilities account by mistake instead
> > of the Asset account it posted to. I need to undo the additional entries
> > to the Liabilities account which I put it in to make it reconcile and,
> > of course, these changes are in the Asset account.
> >
> > Is it possible, if so how, to undo this account reconciliation?
> >
> > If not, what happens if I delete reconciled entries?
> >
> > This is a business and is very important.
> >
> > Many thanks for your help,
> > David
>
> Hi David.
>
> You can un-reconcile a txn by clicking on the "Y" in the account register.
> You'll probably have to confirm in a dialog box, though.
>
> If you delete a reconciled txn (or un-reconcile it) I think that the next time
> you run the reconcile dialog, you'll find that the opening balance will be
> wrong.   Don't worry about that, set the closing balance correctly and go
> through the process and it should all come out right in the end.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.
Thank you Maf.

May I ask though, when reconciling an account, simple domestic example:
1. reconcile cheque account
2. one of the entries is "salary" which is paid into the cheque account
and increases the Income:Salary account
3. Why does the cheque account have a 'y' for reconciled but the
corresponding entry in Income:Salary doesn't?
Regards,
David