Generate Invoice and track down payment for work?

Mark S colt22target at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:15:05 EST 2009

Let me try and explain the scenario a bit more.

I have created an estimate for a project which is all time-based
($/hour) (lets say $500).

I am requesting 50% of the estimated value up front ($250). I would like
to generate an invoice for this $250.

As I perform the work, I want to record the hours worked on the project
and generate monthly invoices. When the invoice generates I want to be
able to apply the credit to the invoice (so if my first invoice is for
$100, the customer would net owe me nothing and still have a credit of
$150. If my second invoice is for $200 the customer would use up the
rest of the prepayment credit and owe me $50).

I would rather not manually track the remaining credit and try and apply
discounts on individual invoices if I can help it.

Hopefully that provides enough detail to see if GnuCash can help.

Thanks for your ideas so far!
-Mark