consolidate 2 imported transactions into one?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 23 11:20:21 EST 2009

Hi,

Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> writes:

> hi again,
>
> i've just imported a bunch of transactions into gnucash from a couple of
> accounts and am running into aproblem when money moves from one account
> into another.  so for instance:
>
> At bank A I have a checking account.  I uses a check to pay for my Visa
> bill at Bank B.  When I import the data into gnucash -- i can't do it
> online, i have to download .ofx files --- thr are two transactions:  a
> withdrawal (credit?) from my checking acccount to Imbalance, and a
> payment (debit?) to my Visa card, again from Imbalance.  Can I tell
> gnucash that these two transactions are the same thing?  Or do i have to
> manually delete one, and then manually edit the other?  i'm worried that
> if i do delete one, a subsequent import might mess up my accounting.

The problem is that you're not properly assigning the account
during the import.  If it's importing to Imbalance that means
you're not assigning it.  Assign it to the right place and then
the importer should detect the two transactions as duplicates.

Yes, you have to do this DURING the import, not after.

If you find that you're adjusting accounts after you import
then you're doing the import wrong.