mortgage payments: split between principal and interest?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 23 20:35:37 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 21:17 -0400, Ian Merrithew wrote:
> What I've done with my mortgage, also being Canadian (ergo the mortgage druid
> is no use to me), is download a full amortization schedule from an online
> calculator. Then, in my scheduled transaction editor, I have a biweekly
> transaction set up with default values. After it goes in, I manually correct
> the values by looking up the correct ones from my schedule.
>
> One such mortgage calculator can be found here:
>
> http://www.investorsgroup.com/english/prodServices/finCalc/mortLoan.shtml
>
> You won't get a 100% match this way depending on the dates of your mortgage,
> though. That is, what the online calculator says your remaining balance
> should be after "X" payments may not be what you actually have left. In my
> case the error at the end of 2008 was less than $10, so no big deal.

ah, interesting.  another thing i suppose i could do would be to just do
a lump transfer from the "mortgage interest" account to the "mortgage
loan" account at arbitrary intervals.  Scotiabank has its own online
amortization schedule generator, so i suppose i'll use that.

anyway thanks!

matt

--
Matt Price