consolidate 2 imported transactions into one?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 24 08:50:59 EST 2009

hi,

Please remember to CC gnucash-user on all replies using your
mailer's reply-to-list or reply-all functionality.

Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> writes:

> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 11:20 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Matt Price <matt.price at utoronto.ca> writes:
>>
>> > hi again,
>> >
>> > i've just imported a bunch of transactions into gnucash from a couple of
>> > accounts and am running into aproblem when money moves from one account
>> > into another.  so for instance:
>> >
>> > At bank A I have a checking account.  I uses a check to pay for my Visa
>> > bill at Bank B.  When I import the data into gnucash -- i can't do it
>> > online, i have to download .ofx files --- thr are two transactions:  a
>> > withdrawal (credit?) from my checking acccount to Imbalance, and a
>> > payment (debit?) to my Visa card, again from Imbalance.  Can I tell
>> > gnucash that these two transactions are the same thing?  Or do i have to
>> > manually delete one, and then manually edit the other?  i'm worried that
>> > if i do delete one, a subsequent import might mess up my accounting.
>>
>> The problem is that you're not properly assigning the account
>> during the import.  If it's importing to Imbalance that means
>> you're not assigning it.  Assign it to the right place and then
>> the importer should detect the two transactions as duplicates.
>
> ok, that's helpful, but two questions remaining:
>
> 1- how exactly do i assign it the right place during importation?
> that's no obvious to me

You can double-click on the account mapping in the transaction matcher
window to select the appropriate account.

> 2- what ought i to do with the few improperly imported transactions i
> have now?  if I delete one, will that be a problem when i import later
> on (on my visa bill, i don't have control over which transactions i
> import, so duplicate detection is pretty important).

Delete one.  When it wants to be imported select the proper account
and then mark it as a duplicate.