Text field alignments

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 14:44:12 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Tommy Trussell
>> > <tommy.trussell at gmail.com>

>> > The current state (a mix of right- and left-justification) seems
>> > unacceptable.
>>
>> I think we all agree with that.
>>
>>  I can quite easily make it consistent. Does there need to be a
>> > debate about left vs. right before I make the change?
>>
>> Obviously I think so.
>>
>>  (I'd much prefer
>> > right-justification personally.)
>>
>> Please tell us why.
>
> Pretty much because there are whole bunch of accounts starting with
> "Assets:Current Assets:" which is fairly long and not as useful to see, at
> least for me. Brokerage accounts are even worse, like a whole bunch that all
> start with something long like "Assets:Investments:Vanguard:".
> With income and expenses, for me the leaf name is usually distinct enough
> without seeing the "Income" or "Expenses", as most expense accounts have
> names like "Dining", "Gas", etc., which could not be Income. Sure there are
> some exceptions, such as "Rent" which could be either income or expense, but
> these are fairly easy to distinguish by making a small adjustment to the
> name (e.g. name the expense "Rent Paid").

Thanks. This is similar to arguments that have been made before and
I've indicated how and why I disagree with it (at least for me), so I
won't repeat.

I really think the best solution is to fix the current non-uniformity
of the justification, which I think we can all agree is a mistake,
and to add an option that allows the user to choose from
left-justified, right-justified, and the centered ellipsis idea
proposed earlier. I don't much care what the default is, so long as I
can set the option and forget it.

The reason I think the option approach is best is that we have
different styles of account naming in the Gnucash community and one
size doesn't fit all in this case, as I think is clear from this
discussion. I don't think your way of doing things is *wrong* in any
absolute sense, especially if it works well for you. But it's not
suitable for the way I use Gnucash and I'd like to have the option of
setting it up the way it works best for me. And there's ample
precedent among the already-existing Gnucash options (e.g., I run it
with "formal accounting labels" enabled, obviously I prefer it that
way, but I don't think it would be hard to find people who would be
driven to distraction by that).

/Don