Text field alignments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 24 15:20:38 EST 2009

Don,

Quoting Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>:

[snip]
> Thanks. This is similar to arguments that have been made before and
> I've indicated how and why I disagree with it (at least for me), so I
> won't repeat.
>
> I really think the best solution is to fix the current non-uniformity
> of the justification, which I think we can all agree is a mistake,
> and to add an option that allows the user to choose from
> left-justified, right-justified, and the centered ellipsis idea
> proposed earlier. I don't much care what the default is, so long as I
> can set the option and forget it.
>
> The reason I think the option approach is best is that we have
> different styles of account naming in the Gnucash community and one
> size doesn't fit all in this case, as I think is clear from this
> discussion. I don't think your way of doing things is *wrong* in any
> absolute sense, especially if it works well for you. But it's not
> suitable for the way I use Gnucash and I'd like to have the option of
> setting it up the way it works best for me. And there's ample
> precedent among the already-existing Gnucash options (e.g., I run it
> with "formal accounting labels" enabled, obviously I prefer it that
> way, but I don't think it would be hard to find people who would be
> driven to distraction by that).

Could you perchance provide some examples of some full account
names in your datafile?  In particular, could you provide full
examples of accounts that you feel would not work in a right
justification but would work with a left justification?  I'm asking
because honestly I just can't think of any at all.

For example, I have accounts like:

Assets:Current Assets:LJ&A:Aggressive Growth Portfolio:DFA Intl Small
Cap Value
Assets:Current Assets:LJ&A:DFA Intl Small Cap Value

In a left-justified view I see this for both of these accounts:
   Assets:Current Assets:LJ&

However in a right-justified view I see: