Fwd: Multi-company accounting

Conor McGarry conormcgarry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 09:09:43 EST 2009

Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply.

I've played around with that idea before.  It creates a few issues.  An
example would be that if the parent account was an "asset" account, then
none of its sub accounts could be "equity" accounts - and visa versa.  I
could work around this by setting the shareholder funds or earnings accounts
as liabilities, therefore it wouldn't be correct when printing off a P&L or
Balance Sheet.

Also, income/expense accounts cannot be parents/subs of asset or equity
accounts.

These companies are all subsidiaries of an ulitmate parent company.  They
are all within in the same "business" i.e. share same office, have the same
directors, same employees etc.  Most of these companies are just shelf
companies and are used as investment vehicles.