Text field alignments

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:03:40 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM, David T. <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Don--
>
> I'm going to suggest that the right-justified option will be better overall, but for a slightly different reason than Derek and others have proposed (which I agree with, nevertheless).

At this point, after all the discussion and persuasive arguments, I'm
convinced that if we had to pick one, right-justification probably
does the most good for the most people. But we don't have to pick one.
We can have the option(s) I've described, with defaults set to
right-justify, and we're all happy.

> I believe that users are more likely to follow the Unique Leaf Naming Scheme (and therefore benefit from right justification) for the additional reason that the leaf is also the string that is placed in the tab when multiple accounts are open. Using the leaf naming you have will result in the same entry appearing in the tab for each of those accounts, and (speaking from experience) a user will quickly see that renaming leaves so that they are unambiguous in the tabs will reduce the possibility of entering transactions in the wrong window. I've run into this when trying to deal with Flexible Spending Accounts, where I have both Equity and Liability accounts to track the ins and outs for one "Account".

But the tabs have those nice popup info boxes if you slide the cursor
over them. Not a lot of effort and, for me, I wouldn't endure the pain
of unique leaf-account names to avoid it. Let me give you an example:
suppose I own IBM stock in two different brokerage accounts, one
taxable, one tax-deferred. So I've got (asset/stock) accounts named
IBM associated with each of the brokerage accounts. Furthermore, IBM
pays a dividend (though I haven't checked this morning; maybe they've
been nationalized :-), so I would have taxable and tax-deferred income
accounts named IBM, since the two income sources require different tax
treatment. Do you think it makes sense to name these four leaf
accounts "Non-IRA IBM stock", "IRA IBM stock", "Non-IRA IBM
dividends", "IRA IBM dividends"?

/Don