Text field alignments

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 14:32:34 EST 2009

Since the option option exists, what this discussion boils down to is
whether it's worth the added cost (code complexity, implementation
time, what the user sees in the option dialog, writing documentation,
etc.) to support both left-justification and right-justification, as
I've previously suggested. While I think the argument for
left-justification is valid (of course I would, I made it), after this
discussion I can also imagine making the argument that very few (maybe
one) would use it, if one makes the leap of faith that this discussion
is a representative sample of the Gnucash user community.

So perhaps a compromise is in order on my part. I could live without
left-justification, especially if there were a simple way to see the
entire pathname of an account in the register, something like the
popup info boxes I proposed earlier. So if I were to get my way in any
of this, the popup boxes with the full pathname would be my top
priority.

If whoever the gatekeeper is (Derek?) agrees that such a facility
makes sense, I will offer to try to find the time to write the code
myself. I can't be sure this will work out, as some of the demands on
my time are unpredictable, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

/Don