Text field alignments

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:04:33 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcallen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Since the option option exists, what this discussion boils down to is
> whether it's worth the added cost (code complexity, implementation
> time, what the user sees in the option dialog, writing documentation,
> etc.) to support both left-justification and right-justification, as
> I've previously suggested. While I think the argument for
> left-justification is valid (of course I would, I made it), after this
> discussion I can also imagine making the argument that very few (maybe
> one) would use it, if one makes the leap of faith that this discussion
> is a representative sample of the Gnucash user community.
>
> So perhaps a compromise is in order on my part. I could live without
> left-justification, especially if there were a simple way to see the
> entire pathname of an account in the register, something like the
> popup info boxes I proposed earlier. So if I were to get my way in any
> of this, the popup boxes with the full pathname would be my top
> priority.
>
> If whoever the gatekeeper is (Derek?) agrees that such a facility
> makes sense, I will offer to try to find the time to write the code
> myself. I can't be sure this will work out, as some of the demands on
> my time are unpredictable, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

I've already committed the changes to use right-justification in r17958, so
at least it is consistent now. I'll defer to Derek as far as whether to add
a justification option or use tooltips or both. I'm not sure how much work
either of those would take, but I suspect that the change would mainly
involve the Gnome-specific parts of the register code that I'm unfamiliar
with. So I may not be the person to do it.

> /Don

-Charles