Text field alignments

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 26 09:37:01 EST 2009

Charles Day <cedayiv at gmail.com> writes:

>     If whoever the gatekeeper is (Derek?) agrees that such a facility
>     makes sense, I will offer to try to find the time to write the code
>     myself. I can't be sure this will work out, as some of the demands on
>     my time are unpredictable, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
>
> I've already committed the changes to use right-justification in r17958, so at
> least it is consistent now. I'll defer to Derek as far as whether to add a
> justification option or use tooltips or both. I'm not sure how much work
> either of those would take, but I suspect that the change would mainly involve
> the Gnome-specific parts of the register code that I'm unfamiliar with. So I
> may not be the person to do it.

I think a tooltip-like popup is a reasonable alternative.

I don't like the ellipses idea only because it takes up valuable
real estate space; If we were to use ellipses I would like to see
the left-hand side limited to perhaps 1-3 characters.  But that
takes up 2-6 precious characters that could be used in the leaf
differentiator.

But Don I do see your problem here -- the differentiator could
theoretically be anywhere in the account hierarchy.  Sometimes it could
be in the left (Asset v. Income to differentiate e.g.  a Stock from its
dividend income account).  Sometimes it's in the middle
(e.g. differentiating your vs. your wife's retirement accounts).
Sometimes it's the pentultimate account (e.g. differenting the Checking
account from various Banks).

Note that if you enter into the account cell and click on the arrow
it will pop up the list, and it IS possible to see the full account name
in the list (through the scrollbar if nothing else).

However I think a tooltip would be a good idea.