Mac OS/X Up and Gnucash startup errors

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 26 10:24:40 EST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 9:43 AM, Steve Drach wrote:

> I run Mac OS/X 10.5.6 (9G55) and a Fink installed Gnucash 2.2.8.
> All was fine until I installed an update that came out two days
> ago.  Since then, when I try to start gnucash, I get an error
> stating it cannot find default values (see attached photo).  If I go
> through the setup process, I get a window, but it seems to be "dull"
> or missing something -- hard to explain, perhaps fonts or styles are
> wrong.   Then if I quit and restart, I get the same error message.
> Any ideas?
>
> <pastedGraphic.tiff>

An update of what? gnucash 2.2.9 was posted in fink a couple days ago,
but you mention 2.2.8.

I have seen the first message once -- when I left X11 running after it
had talked to a different instance of dbus/gnome-settings-daemon than
the instance gnucash was expecting. Quitting x11, then relaunching
gnucash solved that problem for me. I used the Quit button in the
first dialog to make sure my old settings weren't overwritten.

dbus in fink has undergone several changes lately. If you use 'fink
update-all', you probably have a new version of dbus. While I've never
been able to pin it down, rebooting has occasionally helped in the
past after a dbus installation. Less drastic action could well solve
the problem, but I've never been able to figure out why I've had the
problems in the first place.

If you're talking about a system update, did you install xquartz from
macosforge? If so, you may have to reinstall that.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net