Mac OS/X Up and Gnucash startup errors

Steve Drach drach at itsit.org
Thu Feb 26 10:43:27 EST 2009

>> I run Mac OS/X 10.5.6 (9G55) and a Fink installed Gnucash 2.2.8.
>> All was fine until I installed an update that came out two days
>> ago.  Since then, when I try to start gnucash, I get an error
>> stating it cannot find default values (see attached photo).  If I
>> go through the setup process, I get a window, but it seems to be
>> "dull" or missing something -- hard to explain, perhaps fonts or
>> styles are wrong.   Then if I quit and restart, I get the same
>> error message.  Any ideas?
>>
>> <pastedGraphic.tiff>
>
> An update of what? gnucash 2.2.9 was posted in fink a couple days
> ago, but you mention 2.2.8.

Sorry.  Mac OS/X security update

> I have seen the first message once -- when I left X11 running after
> it had talked to a different instance of dbus/gnome-settings-daemon
> than the instance gnucash was expecting. Quitting x11, then
> relaunching gnucash solved that problem for me. I used the Quit
> button in the first dialog to make sure my old settings weren't
> overwritten.

That was an easy test that didn't work (i.e. same error message)

> dbus in fink has undergone several changes lately. If you use 'fink
> update-all', you probably have a new version of dbus. While I've
> never been able to pin it down, rebooting has occasionally helped in
> the past after a dbus installation. Less drastic action could well
> solve the problem, but I've never been able to figure out why I've
> had the problems in the first place.

I haven't updated lately.  I could try that.  What is "dbus"?

> If you're talking about a system update, did you install xquartz
> from macosforge? If so, you may have to reinstall that.

No, because I usually don't have to, but a system upgrade could easily
clobber something, so I'll try that

Derek mentioned it could be a gconf issue.  i imagine so.  I wonder
why a system upgrade would break it, perhaps a permission problem.  I
guess I'll look there too.