Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 04:47:21 EST 2009

There have been a few questions recently about how to install GnuCash on a
Mac, and I just thought I'd show the steps that I used to get it installed
on mine (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6) in native form (no X11).
I used MacPorts, and here were the steps I took, with a few short notes.  If
these don't work for you, however, I may not be much help as I'm a newbie
when it comes to MacPorts.

# Use the latest MacPorts (1.7) so you can install GnuCash 2.2.8
sudo port selfupdate
# Some of the following bombed out on python stuff
# Just rerun command (sometimes more than once) to proceed
sudo port install dbus +no_x11
sudo port install cairo +no_x11
sudo port install pango +no_x11
sudo port install gtk2 +no_x11
sudo port edit aqbanking
# Replace the line
#   --with-frontends="cbanking g2banking qbanking"
# with
#   --with-frontends="g2banking"
sudo port install gnucash +no_x11
# Finally, you may need to insert the following line into your .profile:
eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

Cheers,
Charles