Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 11:10:23 EST 2009

Charles Day wrote:
> There have been a few questions recently about how to install GnuCash on a
> Mac, and I just thought I'd show the steps that I used to get it installed
> on mine (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6) in native form (no X11).
> I used MacPorts, and here were the steps I took, with a few short notes.  If
> these don't work for you, however, I may not be much help as I'm a newbie
> when it comes to MacPorts.
>
> # Use the latest MacPorts (1.7) so you can install GnuCash 2.2.8
> sudo port selfupdate
> # Some of the following bombed out on python stuff
> # Just rerun command (sometimes more than once) to proceed
> sudo port install dbus +no_x11
> sudo port install cairo +no_x11
> sudo port install pango +no_x11
> sudo port install gtk2 +no_x11
> sudo port edit aqbanking
> # Replace the line
> #   --with-frontends="cbanking g2banking qbanking"
> # with
> #   --with-frontends="g2banking"
> sudo port install gnucash +no_x11

Indeed, MacPorts is probably the best way to get the no x11 option up
and running.  I recently went through a manual compile process to
install 2.2.8 w/ out X on Mac so I can verify that it is indeed possible
and as near as I can tell I haven't had any problems with the no x11
build.  I'm working on getting a Python automated build system going
(similar to what the Wiki describes) that I'm hoping we can eventually
create an install image with.  The idea is to be able to download a .dmg
file and not have to have all GnuCash users on the Mac run MacPorts or Fink.

-Dennis