How can I do something like the "Envelope System"

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 11:03:35 EST 2009

Rafferty Uy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how to do something like the envelope system? Here's the
> idea:
>
> You have a payroll account, where every month a fixed amount is deposited by
> your employer.
> You want to allocate this amount to different "envelopes", but all kept in
> your bank account.
>
> So for example you have a bank account with a total deposit of $1000, you
> know that this $1000 is composed of $200 in savings, $300 in bills, $400 for
> daily necessities and $100 for unplanned things.
> Is there a way to do this automatically for every pay day?

I prefer referred to my budget article in another email I just sent.  I
use the envelopes system w/ GnuCash.  It allows me to spend money with
any account (I don't use the subaccount menthod) and from any budget.
You just have to manually record which budget account you use. j

There may indeed be a better way to do it, but it is working very well
for me.

http://allmybrain.com/2008/12/15/better-budgeting-with-gnucash/

-Dennis