Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Frank Marion lists at frankmarion.com
Fri Jan 2 14:41:43 EST 2009

Thank you, that was very informative, I've learned something.

Imagine that you are a brand new Mac user who has never used terminal,
or shell, and who simply wants to install GnuCash on his laptop. You
see that GnuCash announces itself as cross-platform. Yay! Data
security AND portability, PLUS, it's the reason you chose it first
hand when you were using a PC, so that you could always have your
data, no matter what computer you used.

So, you go looking for "the program".

But there isn't one. But it says that it's cross-platform, you decide
that you WANT the data that you've created on your PC on your new Mac.
So you dig deeper.

And you discover something like this: GnuCash doesn't actually exist
as a program, only code. You're not a power user, you've been using
the Mac for less than a week. But the Mac is s'pposed to be simple,
and since it's cross platform, it should be easy-and-mac-like to
install. You learn that

1) You have to use something called Fink or MacPort. You have no idea
what that means

2) You bop around a bunch of dry sites talking a language that reads
like Klingon cursing

3) You don't know why you should use Fink or MacPorts, 'cause each
makes different promises.

4) You learn that you need to have developer tools, and/or that you
must be able to use unix

5) That you need to use unix to create one tool so that it can make
another tool so that you can create an installer (or is it the
program?--or is it another tool again?) and boy, this is starting to
get intense!

6) You grab the first one, and try to follow it step by step, but the
guide assumes that you have basic unix knowledge, like knowing that
you have to use this or that account and have to switch among them
using unix commands that could potentially destroy your machine and
the universe at large.

7) When that doesn't work ('cause you don't know what you don't know)
you feel stupid and frustrated. So you do more research that either
leads you back to the original documentation, or sites that delve into
the mental realm of these mythical creatures known as coders who speak
in unintelligible languages and concepts.

8) Bewildered and stunned at the complexity of installing an
accounting program, you start to doubt your choice and just mark it
off as not-cross platform.

Heck, I was hoping I could just 2click the installer (or drag it to a
folder) and get busy working.

Perhaps my description is technically incorrect, but you get the sense
of how some Mac users will perceive this: far too complex, arcane and
intimidating. GnuCash is an easy install for Windows users. 2 click
the installer and you're done. It's not for non-power Mac user. That
means "The point and click crowd". My mother, who can barely
understand Windows, would *never* be able to install GnuCash if she
were to ever switch to a Mac.

Perhaps Mac users are not a target audience. I can understand that.
The developers have limited time, and personal preferences and prefer
to code rather than to hand hold new users. Perfectly understandable
and your work is totally appreciated, nonetheless.

I'm not clear on why a dim-bulb binary version, or a complete
installation guide/tutorial of some sort is not made prominently
available on the site.

I guess part of the reason that I'm invested in this is because I
value the contribution that GnuCash brings to the table. A good, free
reliable open-source accounting program is long over-due in the land
where lumbering, uncaring corporations basically extort their
customers. GnuCash is an act of decency. I just wish it were easier to
install.

So yeah: That was a rant--but a well intended one :)

On 2009-01-02, at 1:15 PM, Richard Talley wrote:
> Actually that's not true. To illustrate, let's assume you have an OS X
> machine with a user account foo, an admin account bar, a bash prompt
> configured to show the user name, and you are logged in as foo. When
> you open the Terminal just switch to the admin account thusly:

[...]

--
Frank Marion
lists [_at_] frankmarion.com