Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Richard Talley rich.talley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 13:15:02 EST 2009

Actually that's not true. To illustrate, let's assume you have an OS X
machine with a user account foo, an admin account bar, a bash prompt
configured to show the user name, and you are logged in as foo. When
you open the Terminal just switch to the admin account thusly:

foo$ su bar

You'll be prompted for the bar account password and assuming you enter
it correctly, you'll get a new prompt:

bar$

At this point you can issue your sudo commands. Or you can actually
become root, which is what I prefer to do. The default on OS X is for
the root account to be disabled so nobody can actually log in as root,
but you can still become root using the admin account password:

bar$ sudo su

Successfully enter the admin password again and you will get this prompt:

root#

Be careful. You are now god of the machine. Remain root only long
enough to issue your installation commands. Use the exit command to
leave the root account and return to the admin account. Use the exit
command again to leave the admin account and return to the user
account where you started.

I can't remember the last time I actually logged into the admin
account through the GUI on my machine. I just remain in my normal user
account and become admin or root at the command line when necessary.
It's one of the nifty features of any Un*x-style system and is, IMO,
more flexible and straightforward to use than the RunAs feature in
Windows.

BTW, if you need to run a GUI application with root privileges in OS
X, this won't work:

root# open -a TextEdit.app

TextEdit will open, but not with root privileges. You have to give the
complete path to the executable thusly:

root# open -a /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit

I find this trick useful as some tasks, such as editing plist files,
are easier to do using the GUI tools. Or you may simply prefer to use
a GUI editor rather than vi or pico for editing makefiles, etc.

-- Rich