Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:10:16 EST 2009

For kicks, I went through this to see how the result compared with what
I've got working manually so far.  I had to do a couple additional
things besides what you noted.  I've added notes below:

Charles Day wrote:
> There have been a few questions recently about how to install GnuCash on a
> Mac, and I just thought I'd show the steps that I used to get it installed
> on mine (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6) in native form (no X11).
> I used MacPorts, and here were the steps I took, with a few short notes.  If
> these don't work for you, however, I may not be much help as I'm a newbie
> when it comes to MacPorts.
>
> # Use the latest MacPorts (1.7) so you can install GnuCash 2.2.8
> sudo port selfupdate
> # Some of the following bombed out on python stuff
> # Just rerun command (sometimes more than once) to proceed
> sudo port install dbus +no_x11
> sudo port install cairo +no_x11
> sudo port install pango +no_x11

At this point, I edited the gtk2 build
sudo port edit gtk2

I added:
  depends_lib-delete=port:librsvg
to the no_xll variant.  I don't know why it wasn't building with that
dependency but after deleting it, the build worked fine.

> sudo port install gtk2 +no_x11
> sudo port edit aqbanking
> # Replace the line
> #   --with-frontends="cbanking g2banking qbanking"
> # with
> #   --with-frontends="g2banking"

In addition to removing the other frontends, I also removed the qt3
dependency so I didn't have to wait for qt3 to build too.

> sudo port install gnucash +no_x11
> # Finally, you may need to insert the following line into your .profile:
> eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

I'm surprised at how easy this was actually.  When I first started
playing around with the Mac build, there was no no_x11 option and they
didn't have a port for 2.2.8 yet.  This is great for all the Mac GnuCash
lovers out there.

-Dennis