Installing GnuCash on Mac without X11 (using MacPorts)

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:49:36 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Dennis Muhlestein
<djmuhlestein at gmail.com>wrote:

> For kicks, I went through this to see how the result compared with what
> I've got working manually so far.  I had to do a couple additional things
> besides what you noted.  I've added notes below:
>
> Charles Day wrote:
>
>> There have been a few questions recently about how to install GnuCash on a
>> Mac, and I just thought I'd show the steps that I used to get it installed
>> on mine (MacBook Pro, 10.5.6) in native form (no X11).
>> I used MacPorts, and here were the steps I took, with a few short notes.
>>  If
>> these don't work for you, however, I may not be much help as I'm a newbie
>> when it comes to MacPorts.
>>
>> # Use the latest MacPorts (1.7) so you can install GnuCash 2.2.8
>> sudo port selfupdate
>> # Some of the following bombed out on python stuff
>> # Just rerun command (sometimes more than once) to proceed
>> sudo port install dbus +no_x11
>> sudo port install cairo +no_x11
>> sudo port install pango +no_x11
>>

> At this point, I edited the gtk2 build
> sudo port edit gtk2
>
> I added:
>  depends_lib-delete=port:librsvg
> to the no_xll variant.  I don't know why it wasn't building with that
> dependency but after deleting it, the build worked fine.

Interesting. I didn't need that step for some reason.

>  sudo port install gtk2 +no_x11
>> sudo port edit aqbanking
>> # Replace the line
>> #   --with-frontends="cbanking g2banking qbanking"
>> # with
>> #   --with-frontends="g2banking"
>>

> In addition to removing the other frontends, I also removed the qt3
> dependency so I didn't have to wait for qt3 to build too.

Good idea dropping qt3. I was wondering if a +no_x11 variant could be added
for aqbanking that would do these steps automatically, but I don't know if
these steps are only valid when combining aqbanking with gnucash.

Perhaps you could comment, Martin? If we are trying to build aqbanking for
an application that doesn't use X11, is it reasonable to eliminate cbanking,
qbanking, and qt3 from the aqbanking build? Do you think this would this
break other applications that use aqbanking, assuming they were also
intentionally built without any dependency on X11?

>  sudo port install gnucash +no_x11
>> # Finally, you may need to insert the following line into your .profile:
>> eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`
>>

> I'm surprised at how easy this was actually.  When I first started playing
> around with the Mac build, there was no no_x11 option and they didn't have a
> port for 2.2.8 yet.  This is great for all the Mac GnuCash lovers out there.
>
> -Dennis

-Charles