Close book + new file

Roberto Hernandez roberto.hfer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:40:38 EST 2009

Hello all,

I'm in the process of closing the books for 2008. As far as I know,
the Tools -> Close Book only creates transactions that zero the Income
and Expense accounts. This approach is fine, but the system becomes
slower because all transactions from the previous year remain in the
data file.

Therefore, in order to avoid the performance hit, I believe the only
solution is to start a new data file for 2009. It's either that or
changing to a database backend instead of XML ;-) (any plans for
that?)

I was just wondering whether there is any tool that automates the
process of creating the starting balance transactions as described in
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_there_book-closing_support.2C_yet.3F

TIA

Roberto