Close book + new file

Mark snark at pobox.com
Sun Jan 4 16:37:35 EST 2009

I am trying to work out the same issue, though I have some additional
requirements of my own to keep gnucash usable for myself.

There is a close-books.pl perl script that looks promising, though I
think it will get me about 80% of what I am looking for.  Look through
the list archives and you will find it has been reposted recently.  I am
currently thinking through exactly what it would take to make it work
for me -- though I think my needs are non-standard.

The issue I have with the script is that it does not handle non-currency
transactions.  I.e: stocks.  I also use gnucash in a less-than-proper
accounting manner in that I always have all assets on the books,
regardless of when they were purchased.  My interest in purging is
getting rid of non-interesting transactions.  In other words, the exact
amount I paid for my electricity bill in January of 1995 is really no
longer interesting to me, but the price I paid for a share of stock in
1995 is still interesting to me and the price I paid for all utilities
over the past 5 years is still interesting.