Dealing with overpayments and credits

Robert G Palmer Jr robertpalmerjr at mac.com
Thu Jan 8 19:58:38 EST 2009

I've searched the archives and did not find a good answer, so here goes.

First, a side question: Is is OK to post a payment for MORE than the
total of any existing invoices?

- I know about the auto splitting of payments, but what happens if I
post an invoice for, $10, so the customer owes $10, then I post a
payment of $15? Is that OK?  The system WILL track the overpayment,
correct?

Now the main question.

I'm using GnuCash to manage the expenses for a soccer team.  At the
beginning of each season I create an invoice for what I THINK it is
going to cost to attend a number of tournaments during the season.
But near the end of the season, I may need to credit all of the
players some amount because either, the tournament was cancelled due
to weather, so we didn't go, or the expenses for the tournament were
less than expected.  I have a couple of questions based on the scenario.

1. Unpost the invoice and add a new line item for the credit (I
thought of this AND found a post with this suggestion)
2. Is there a way to just post a "credit" to the customer I tried
issuing a negative payment, but that won't work.

Finally,

Is the Customer Report the only way to view all transactions related
to a customer?

Thanks in advance
Robert