AP Bills Not Marked "Paid"

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 8 19:58:51 EST 2009

Quoting Blackhawke <blackhawke at vetl.org>:

> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:19 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>

>> > =sigh= I'm not sure I remember.  I think I manually entered it based on
>> > the 2006 closing data from the old system.
>>
>> If it was created by hand that will certainly throw off the business
>> features.  It wont be a member of any lot and therefore wont be
>> included in any computations.
>

> Hmm... Well, all I can tell you is that when I run a report against this
> (or any other vendor) the balances due and the 30/60/90 totals (if any)
> are correct. Which is odd, since it seems to me that one part of the
> software is saying there are unpaid bills going back to January 07, and
> another saying everything's paid off up to the most recent bills.

The Vendor Report does a sum-total calculation.
The bills-due reminder does a lot-for-lot lookie.

In other words they are using different algorithms to display what's up.
It sounds like the lots are messed up.  The questions are:

1) How/Why did it get screwed up?  and
2) How do fix it?

>> > That's true. It isn't on that screen.  Attached is a screenshot of the
>> > first payment -- again, showing the splits.
>>
>> Wait.... How is there a Split transaction?   Process Payment doesn't
>> create any split transactions, so how did this payment get created?
>

> Umm... All of the payments have splits.  And all the payments are made
> using the "Process Payment" feature. Here are two more screen shots from
> just a few months ago. The first shows what looks like a string of
> payments. The second shows the splits of one of those payments.
> Actually, to be honest, it shows the splits of all of the payments,
> since they're all identical. The number of splits is equal to the number
> of individual payment entries on the screen.

Interesting... At some point the code was changed to do split
transactions instead of adjusting transactions.  Clearly this is
a better way of doing it, but I don't remember doing it myself.
It must've been something someone submitted.

Maybe you can use the Lot Viewer to look at the lots in the account
and see what the balances are?

FYI, a "closed" invoice is purely based on the Lot Balance.  For
an invoice to be "closed" it's associated Lot must have a balance
of 0.

This means you /might/ need to go and re-enter all your payments again
back to when it started failing.   Unfortunately.  There's no other
way to "force it" because you need to get the lots balanced out.