Gnucash dies when opening my data file

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 07:11:02 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Jon Loose <jjloose at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just completed my first year using gnucash for home accounts, and it's been excellent on the whole.  System is xubuntu (with gnome in addition to xfce), gnucash is 2.2.6 (from ubuntu repos).
>
> It seems that my system didn't go down cleanly last night, as there is a lock file remaining.  When opening gnucash today, I'm asked what to do about the lock file.  I say 'ignore' and the dialog disappears, but then gnucash just dies - so I have no way of getting to my data.
>
> Any thoughts much appreciated.  I hope I haven't just lost a year's information.

Elizabeth is very expert in matters Gnucash, so I'm sure following her
guidance will get you going again. I would simply add one thing in
response to your last sentence above. Even if your main Gnucash file
has somehow gotten corrupted, be assured that Gnucash is very careful
to make full backup files and also writes incremental log files (see
the section "Backing Up and Recovering Data" in the Gnucash Tutorial
and Concepts Guide). So if the main file turns out to be unusable,
unless your hardware has collapsed, you will have backups and log
files that can be used to get you back to where you were before things
took a turn for the worse. But you aren't there yet -- Elizabeth is
trying to help you get the lock files out of the way and once you do,
it may well turn out that your file is fine and no further
intervention will be  needed. The cause of this, by the way, is that
Gnucash was still running when you shut your system down the previous
night.

/Don Allen