Gnucash dies when opening my data file

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Mon Jan 12 07:22:00 EST 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009 10:36:45 Jon Loose wrote:
> I've just completed my first year using gnucash for home accounts, and it's
> been excellent on the whole.  System is xubuntu (with gnome in addition to
> xfce), gnucash is 2.2.6 (from ubuntu repos).
>
> It seems that my system didn't go down cleanly last night, as there is a
> lock file remaining.  When opening gnucash today, I'm asked what to do
> about the lock file.  I say 'ignore' and the dialog disappears, but then
> gnucash just dies - so I have no way of getting to my data.
>
> Any thoughts much appreciated.  I hope I haven't just lost a year's
> information.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

Do you have Scheduled transactions which auto-create?  If so, it is possible
you are hitting a situation where one has been corrupted somehow.

Suggest you open a console and run the following:

gnucash --nofile

then go to Edit -> Preferences -> Scheduled Transaction [Tab] and unset the
option for the "Since Last Run" dialog at file open time.

Then try to File -> Open your accounts data - you may still have to Ignore the
lock file, as it is probably recreated each time you ignore it and GC goes on
to crash. (then hunt down the offending SX, if that is the problem!)

HTH,
Maf.