Gnucash 2.2.7. Reports do not work

Graham P Davis hacker at scarlet-jade.com
Sat Jan 17 01:21:48 EST 2009

On Friday 16 January 2009 21:26:55 you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Graham P Davis <hacker at scarlet-jade.com>:
> > For info, I'm running on OpenSUSE 11.1, KDE 3.5.
> >
> > These are the problems I'm having with the reports. Note that just
> > because there's only three problems doesn't imply other reports are
> > working - these are the only ones I've tried.
> >
> > (1) Budget report: All this does is to display the message: "This report
> > requires you to specify certain report options." Needless to say, it
> > matters not a jot as to how many or what options I specify - I still get
> > the same answer.
>
> Have you created a budget?  This report requires you to have one.

That now seems blindingly obvious! Thanks. Surprising as it may seem, I did go
through the instructions as to how to use Gnucash but my only excuse is that
it was a few years ago.

> > (2) Tax Report: This displays my tax report for "Period from 2006-Sep-01
> > to 2006-Dec-31" regardless of what period I specify.
>
> How are you specifying the period?

I right-click on the page and select "options", then the "general" tab, then
set "from" and "to".

> > (3) Cash Flow: If I use the default values, I get a decent report - and
> > the period matches what I asked for. The only trouble is that some
> > accounts aren't included. If I add more accounts I get more trouble until
> > if I select all accounts the report tells me my total income for the year
> > was £0.00 and the Expenditure was also £0.00. At least I have a balanced
> > budget.
>
> This is a mis-understanding on your part of how the Cash Flow report works.
> Read the archives for my previous full-length explanations, but in short
> the report draws circle around the set of accounts that you specify and
> only calculates numbers for transactions that cross the line.  When you
> select all accounts then nothing crosses the line.

OK, that makes sense. I'd only tried this option because I couldn't get the
tax report to work and I was getting desperate.

Thanks,

Graham