Migration from UBS Quicken 2001 for Windows

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 00:17:16 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Roger Brooks <rsbrux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear John,
> I did wind up having to create the accounts myself during the OFX import,
> but importing accounts doesn't seem to be the source of the problem.  The
> problem is with the transactions imports using QIF.  All of the
> stock transactions in Quicken (SharesIn, Dividend, etc.) result in debits to
> the brokerage account for each transaction.  This results in a huge negative
> balance.  (see attached JPG).
> After looking at this more closely, I am thinking that I just don't
> understand the concepts well enough yet, but I find it counter-intuitive for
> the account to have a negative balance.
> The GnuCash documentation explains in detail how to create the initial
> stock positions in GnuCash by hand, but for this to work, it seems to me
> that I would have to weed out the corresponding transactions from the QIF
> file.  I also don't see how to correct this behaviour for dividend credits,
> for example.  These are (logically enough) being credited to the cash
> (actually money market) account linked with the brokerage account, but is it
> logical for the amounts to appear also as debits to the brokerage account?
> I realize that under double-entry bookeeping rules they must be debited
> somewhere.
> Thanks for responding!
> Best Regards,
> Roger

In the attached image, are those dividend transactions? Could you show the
QIF lines for one of them? For a "Div" action, I believe the two accounts
involved should be a dividend income account and the brokerage account. On
the other hand, a "DivX" action should pair the dividend income account with
whatever account the cash was transferred to in Quicken (your money market
account, I presume.)

If you can provide the QIF lines, I can try it here and see whether it works
for me.

Cheers,
Charles