client listing

Nicolas Severyns nicolasseveryns at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:32:21 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 23:10 +0100, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2009, Nicolas Severyns wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > For my trimestrial Belgian VAT declaration I need to make a client
> > listing and a listing of all invoices made out during the last
> > year/trimester.
> >
> > I only find an option to make a report for one client.
> >
> > I know that all the data I need is in my Gnucash database, but I don't
> > know how to get it out of it.
> >
> I don't think there is a report that currently does this.
>
> > Do I have to make a custom report? Are there any tutorials on the
> > internet? Any other tips?
> >
> The current report engine is not very flexible (from an ordinary user's point
> of view). For the report you are looking for, you will have to create a
> completely new report. You will have to know the Scheme programming language
> for that (or learn it). If you are interested in doing this, you probably
> should ask your question again on the -devel list.
>
> > Thanks for all possible information,
> >

> As you, I'm living in Belgium and use Gnucash for my day to day accounting.
> But I'm not using Gnucash for all of it as it's not really adapted to the
> Belgian (or even European) fiscal law.
>
> I am curious though to learn how you are using Gnucash. For example do you
> print invoices directly from Gnucash ? Where do you store your customer's (and
> vendor's) VAT numbers ? Things like that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Thanks for the answer.
I already thought that the only option would be writing a new report for
that.
I am a novice Gnucash user and I don't really know anything about
banking or accounting, but I recently started as an independent and am
committed to open source.
I use Gnucash to print invoices. All my clients have been entered into
Gnucash.
As for their VAT numbers, I only have the VAT numbers of half of my
clients. I only recently found out that I will need those numbers for my
yearly client listing. But once I have them, I will put them in the
address field, I suppose.
To be completely honest, I haven't really completely figured out by yet
how Gnucash works. I don't know, for example, how to put the VAT that is
automatically calculated when preparing an invoice, automatically on a
separate 'VAT' account. But that is yet another question.

Regards,

Nicolas