FX Rates

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 23:54:39 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Ken <kmailuk at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all.  GnuCash seems to be picky about how FX rates are entered.
> For instance, I set up a very simple test file with one transaction in
> GBP. I requested my reporting currency to be XAU.  I entered an
> exchange rate for XAU in GBP (about 600 GBP = 1 XAU). The "Accounts"
> page shows XAU 0.0000 for the total even though the account has -£25.
>
> If, however, I enter an FX rate for GBP in XAU (1/600) the Total is
> shown correctly.  Why doesn't GnuCash figure this out itself and
> calculate the appropriate reciprocal?

Which version are you using? There were recent fixes to some exchange rate
and price editor bugs (fixes included in 2.2.7 and above if I recall
correctly.)

Also, are you sure that dialog has not tricked you into entering the
exchange rate backwards? Run a report and make it show the exchange rate by
setting the report options: use "most recent" price source and make sure it
the option is turned on to display the exchange rate in the report.

Also check your prices in the Price Editor (Tools->Price Editor) for any bad
ones.

> Kind regards,
> Ken

Cheers,