only works as default language (login/logout) (was: gnucash in german and spanish)

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:39:40 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Uwe Brauer <oub at mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>   >> Thanks but I am not sure I understand
>   >> I use the tcsh shell:
>   >> env gives me
>   >> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>   >>
>   >> So I presume I should use
>   >> setenv ?
>
>   > That's one way.
>
>   >> >  env LANG=de gnucash
>
> I found out the following:
>
>    -  if I set (in (K)ubuntu 8.04) the default language say to german,
>       I have to logout/login and then gnucash starts with german, so
>       far so good
>
>    -  I can also do env LANG=en gnucash and it starts in english.
>
>    -  However this is the only language I can start this way!!!1
>
>    -  Having also installed spanish I cannot do
>       env LANG=es gnucash
>       or
>       env LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 gnucash
>
>       it does not work.
>
>    -  I can set spanish as default language and start gnucash in
>       english but not in german etc etc.
>
> The 2 observation.
>

>    - Once I have started in a different language, the menus have
>      changed and every new account I open will use this new language.
>
>    -  however the old account keeps the language in which once
>       it was created. This I find *inconvenient*.
>

> Any idea why I can start gnucash from the commandline only in english???
>

> Uwe Brauer

Derek mentioned that you need to generate the locales you want to use,
but I gather the process in Ubuntu is slightly different from some
other distros. As a monoglot this doesn't come up for me ;-) so I did
a Google search and found this tip: ttp://tlug.dnho.net/?q=node/237

Basically, open the /var/lib/locales/supported.d/local file and add
whichever locales you need, one per line. If you need a hint for valid
locales, they're listed in /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED

Once you have added the locales you need to the
/var/lib/locales/supported.d/local file, you execute this command in a
terminal to generate them:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

Is this the information you needed? My apologies if I've misunderstood.