only works as default language (login/logout)

Frank H. Ellenberger f.ellenberger at online.de
Fri Jan 23 11:18:15 EST 2009

:
> I switched to batch
> and for me gnucash starts in *english*

same output as below?

>    > Other shells may use different forms, though the question remains:
>    > How to set environment variables temporary in *your* shell?
>
> I use tcsh
>
> So it should be
>
>  env LANG=es_ES LANGUAGE=de_DE gnucash --nofile
>
> But again this does not wrk
>
>    > man <myshell>
>    > should answer this or google.
>    >
>    > The above form sets the environment only for the current command/line.
>    > On the next line you are back in your defazult environment.
>
> That might be the case but please note the message I obtain:
>
> nc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure
> time.

doesn't matter

> * 16:37:07  WARN <Gtk> Locale not supported by C library.

> So it seems to be that gnucash was compiled such that Locale is not
> supported in the C lib and that is may be why the local switch does not
> work?

To keep it simple, first play around with:
env LANG=<language>[_<Country>[.<Encoding>]] gnucash --nofile

There might be insufficient fallback rules.

If you find no combination, you are missing some language package - gnucash or
somwhere else in your system. Some distros split packages in program and
language, some disable features to reduce dependencies ...

Probably https://launchpad.net can help you.

Frank