How to write off bad credit

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Jan 23 20:51:33 EST 2009

On Saturday 24 January 2009 7:40:03 am Derek Atkins wrote:
> Doug Laidlaw <laidlaws at hotkey.net.au> writes:
> > Making it show up in the reports is a question of customising your
> > reports, and I can't help you with that.  Normally the amount won't be in
> > your Balance Sheet at all, because your Balance Sheet is a snapshot of
> > your assets and liabilities on balance date, with no history.  Even
> > Profit and Loss will show you only the totals of the various accounts.
>
> Not necessarily..
>
> I think the issue is making the credit show up in the BUSINESS reports..
> And the only way to get something to show up in the business reports
> is by using the business features:  Post Invoice and Process Payment.
> So you can't just enter a transaction from the GL and have it appear
> there.
>
> > HTH,
> >
> > Doug.

> -derek

That is where I have no experience.  There has to be a posting like writing
off a bad debt, except that it doesn't go to bad debts.  From my wealth of
inexperience, the next question I would ask is: Do write-offs go to Bad Debts
automatically, or can one select a target account?

But I will leave it to those with business experience.

Doug.