Need HTML to doc help; Printing; non-profit in kind donations

Food Pantry Helper volzka1 at mwt.net
Mon Jan 26 22:23:04 EST 2009

Hi-
Let me say first that I just LOVE GnuCash.  Used the old Dome program years
ago, and am taking over the financials for a food pantry in SW Wisconsin
that has done everything manually.  Installed fine.  Checkbook register,
account set up and cash expenses, fine.  Oh please, you smart people, could
someone help me with the following?

1) I'm not HTML, SQL or any of that savvy, but I can follow clearly written
directions.  Need to figure out how I can make the HTML export show up as
something I can use in a document.  I have downloaded open office.  This is
BECAUSE.....

2) I have the evil GNOME PRINTING CURSE- Brother's printer, prints it -
well, inside out, backwards.  IF, I say IF, I can save it to a .doc file,
hurray, then it prints normal.  Yes, I checked the advance printer settings,
even tried changing it to mirror (thought I'd fool that GNOME file, NOT!).
SO, this little Food Pantry would be greatly blessed if someone could send
me instructions on how I can convert an HTML to something I can get at, and
any other work arounds for the EVIL GNOME PRINTER CURSE :).  Tried opening
the HTML it up in Word and Explorer, nothing I could use.  Please pardon my
HTML ignorance.  Exported to a PDF and lost all the numbers, just got the
bar graph.
Text only seems to be able to export to .doc. Yada Yada, I know it's open
source.  Right now, I'm looking for functionality, and want to be able to
learn about open office, other options.  I've created 2008, and once I've
got that complete, I can mess around with other options for 2009.

3)  I understand the concept of double entry.  I'm trying to capture our
Food Pantry's non-monetary donations (usually food from food drives, ect),
and offset them with an expense.  Tried doing it under an income category
for the donations, but they end up in red and in parenthesee's (ie, (120.00)
but in red).  And, then, the matching expense category I've set up (Food to
Clients) also is showing a number in red, in parenthesees.  Hmmmm.  Goal is
to be able to assign/track these non-money donations, which are a huge part
of our input, and put a value to them, as to Food to Clients.  In that
category, I get a - I think it's a Charge, then a Rebate- IEEEE, what's up
with that.  I don't mind re-entering last years stuff if I can find a way to
make it clear out as an in/out, yet still be able to show the total non-food
donations number.  I ended up using the reverse transaction option, and
assigning it to the Food to Clients Category.  I'm missing something
critical here, and if anyone understands what I'm referring to, please help.

We couldn't afford the big money products, and if there is a way to work
around these issues (I'm SURE there is- or will be), please contact me, post
instructions, anything.

Those who help feed Hungry people in SW Wisconsin thanking you in advance.

Denise, a Food Pantry Helper