Back Up

hermit hermit at outofoptions.org
Thu Jan 29 17:26:33 EST 2009

I really didn't mean to turn this into a thread beating up the OP over
his backup strategy, which is essentially what this has become.  I
purposely left out mine because it isn't relevant.   My point is that
having a configurable second save path for you financial data isn't a
bad idea, especially given the utility of making data transportable with
todays external storage options and the importance of your financial
data and how often it changes.

Think of it this way.  I am in Gnucash.  I hit a button and my data
stores to my phone via bluetooth.  Or I stick in my USB key.  How many
of you actually do off site storage with your backups?  Phone and usb
keys make it easier.  You can stick your resume.doc on a key, but how
often does it change?  If your house burns down, the tax man doesn't
care.  Making the data easier to save in more than one place and giving
choices is not a bad thing in my opinion.

Also, many answers to this thread have indicated 'tech savvy'
approaches.  Isn't this the thing the open source community gets dinged
for from time to time?  A little to user unfriendly?

Ken Lowther