Back Up

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Jan 29 20:41:04 EST 2009

Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Thursday 29 January 2009 14:45:05 Geoffrey wrote:
>> I tend to agree with Derek though, how many financial applications
>> actually have such a functionality?  I don't think Quicken or Quickbooks
>> have this functionality, although I can't say for sure.
>
> i also agree that backing up, especially outside of the ms windows world, is
> better managed at the system level rather than the application level.
>
> however, those coming from ms windows will have much more experience with each
> application having it's own way to save the same thing to separate places.
>
> ms money has it, quicken has it (at least they both did before i switched to
> gnucash about 2 years ago).
>
> i think it must give some people a fuzzy feeling to be told they're backing
> something up each and every time as opposed to "the rsync fairy does it at 2am
> while you're sleeping."

That has got to be the most backward way I've ever heard.  So what most
folks probably do, is never move the backups to external storage.
Probably because they are all over the drive depending on the application.

I'd suggest we don't want to emulate that approach, rather see if it
will die silently...

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin