removing zero value lines

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 30 09:28:26 EST 2009

Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Situation:
>
> Last month I bought several items from a vendor and split the expenses
> into three different accounts. This month I buy more from this vendor
> but use only two of the expense accounts. This leaves a zero value
> im-balance.
>
> How do I get rid of it?
>
> Second and related question: I open a window for im-balance and see
> that all the lines have a zero value. Why does removing those lines
> actually remove the ENTIRE transaction? WITHOUT ANY WARNING?

I've found this to be a little unsettling too.  You have opened an
account window (its register), and deleted the split which makes that
transaction display in that window.  Delete the split and the
transaction no longer belongs to that account.  Hence, it is removed
from the display.  However, the rest of the transaction continues to
exist and can be viewed in the registers for its other accounts.
> Third question: If I copy the .xac file from just before those
> transactions got removed to GnuCash-Main will I get them all back? I
> know I'll need to re-enter stuff since then.
>
> Debian
> GnuCash 2.2.6
> Built 2008-08-28 from r17427

Mark