stock sale problems, yet again

Simon West s.d.c.west at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 12 12:18:43 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I am using Gnucash 2.2.9, and am having problems recording a stock
sale. I have been following the instructions in Section 8.7 of the
online manual.

The thing I can't get to work is the step where you are supposed to
record capital gains by using a transaction with the number of shares
and the price both set to 0. Gnucash simply does not allow me to do
this - whenever I try, it sets the number of shares to 1 and the
price to the amount of the capital gains. Thus I am left with the
incorrect number of shares in the account. A workaround is to simply
not record the capital gains at all, which is not ideal (I want to
know exactly how much capital gains I have for tax reasons).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Simon West.