File Restoration

Michael Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Tue Jul 14 10:21:02 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Tommy
Trussell<tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Mike C.<subscribe307 at verizon.net> wrote:
>> I recently saved my data file to a new file name and have entered data in
>> the new file.  Now when ever I reboot the computer and open Gnucash it opens
>> the old file.  If I am working on the new file and save it, then close
>> Gnucash, and reopen Gnucash without rebooting it will open with the new
>> file.  How do I fix this so it always opens to the recently used file?
>> I am using version 2.2.9 on Windows XP.
>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>> Mike
>
> If you were using linux I would suggest you close GnuCash and rename
> the ~/.gnucash directory. When you start GnuCash again it will
> re-create the directory. You will lose saved reports and some
> preferences.
>
> I don't know where the Windows version puts the "hidden" gnucash
> directory,

Mine is under the user profile directory . Almost always "C:\Documents
and Settings\<username>" (for WinXP; not sure what the equivalent path
in Vista is). The exact path is listed in the environmental variable
"USERPROFILE"; type "set" at a command prompt to list all the
environmental variables.

I refer to the ".gnucash" folder. In the same location are the
".gconf", ".gconfd", ".gnome2", and ".gnome2_private" directories.

> but it sounds like on yours the permissions are wrong (if that's possible in Windows)

Windows NTFS file permissions can be very granular, but by default,
the user profile folder is given FULL control to the user. You'd
usually have to make a spceial effort to change those permissions.